- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/4 tsp sea salt or less/more to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup dry red lentils
- 5 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk or cream
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 6 lasagna noodles broken into pieces (you can use gluten-free noodles)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup cashew butter
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Red pepper flakes (optional for added spice)
- Vegan ricotta or mozzarella to garnish (optional)
- Fresh herbs (e.g. parsley or basil) to garnish
In a sieve, rinse lentils under running water, set aside.
Chop the onion and garlic.
Heat oil in a large pot and sauté the onion for about 3-4 minutes over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for a further one minute.
Add all spices (Italian seasoning, onion powder, paprika, sea salt, black pepper), the lentils, tomato sauce, tomato paste, cashew butter, and the vegetable broth or water. Stir with a whisk and bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, break the lasagna noodles into smaller pieces. Once the soup boils add the lasagna noodles and cook for about 9-10 minutes or until the noodles are al dente.
Finally, add the plant-based milk (or cream), the lemon juice, and nutritional yeast. Turn off the heat.
Taste and adjust the seasonings. Add more salt, pepper, Italian herbs as needed. You can also add red pepper flakes or hot sauce for a spicier soup!
Serve immediately and garnish with fresh herbs and vegan ricotta cheese. Enjoy!
The soup will thicken over time, as the noodles will absorb a lot of the liquid. Simply add more vegetable broth if you want to eat leftovers the next day. Store covered in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Leave A Comment