Mexican Street Corn
12-30min., depending on cooking options
- 4 ears of sweet corn
- Vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup Mexican crema (sour cream or plain greek yogurt for a healthy twist)
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1/3 cup minced cilantro (measure 1/3 cup BEFORE chopping)
- 1 clove garlic, very finely minced or grated
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large lime (3/4 teaspoons zest and 1 tablespoons juice)
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso cotija (or plain cotija cheese)
- Optional: additional lime wedges for serving
- CORN Remove husks and silks. Rub approximately 1tsp. vegetable oil onto each cob. Lightly salt and pepper. Place corn directly on preheated grill (~400 degrees). Turn every 3 min. for a total of 12 min.I also like the option to roast the corn in the oven with the husks on if I don’t feel like grilling. For this option, preheat the oven to 350 and roast corn for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and peel back the husks (they should pull away like butter!) and keep husks in tact for handling the corn.
- SAUCE while corn is cooking, whisk together the Mexican crema, mayo, cilantro, garlic, chili powder, paprika, cumin, cayenne pepper, lime zest, and lime juice. Feel free to modify any seasonings to your taste.
- ASSEMBLE using a pastry brush or your fingers, brush the sauce generously coating each ear of corn. Sprinkle on cheese and if desired an additional sprinkle of chili powder. Serve immediately with lime wedges.
Does not keep well for leftovers so only cook what you need. Double recipe for 8 cobs.
Chelsea’s Messy Apron
Leave A Comment