Set time: min. of 2 hours
- 2 fresh beets, peeled and sliced or you can use 1 (15 ounce) can whole medium beets with juice
- 1 medium onion, sliced into rings (red or white)
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar (I used ¼ c. to keep the sugar content down – next time I will try honey)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 14 tsp. salt
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- In saucepan, boil vinegar, sugar, pepper, and salt until sugar is melted.
- Let cool In large container, combine beets, eggs, garlic, and onions (I used an extra large mason jar.)
- Pour vinegar mixture over all and mix to combine.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving (the longer this sits, the better it gets. I like them to sit for at least 24 hours for the juice to penetrate the egg.)
- I love to add these eggs, beets, and onion to a salad – use the vinegar/beet solution as dressing with a drizzle of olive oil and squirt of lemon. Yum!
- If you are using fresh beets instead of canned, then you may have to add more vinegar and filtered water to cover the eggs, accordingly
- this recipe is modified to my liking from original post on food.com