Potato, Spinach, and Sausage Soup
- Cashew Cream is a delicious way to get that creamy fix without the dairy and added calories! I soak raw cashews in boiling water for 15min. before I add to blender. You can also soak cashews overnight (or for 2+ hours) on the counter and then you wouldn’t need to use boiling water.
- You can use opt for pork sausage if you’re not a vegetarian/vegan
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more if you like things spicy, like me)
- 12 ounces vegan sausage, chopped (Field Roast brand or your fav veggie sausage)
- 1.5 pound bag mini potatoes, quartered (I use 3 mid-sized redskin potatoes if the minis aren’t available in the store)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach (can swap for kale)
- 1/4 cup cashew cream (add 1/2 c. soaked cashews and 1/2 c. filtered water to a high-powered blender for 1-2 min.)
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, pinch of salt and pepper, and sausage and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until sausage is lightly browned and onion has cooked down. Stir often so the sausage doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the potatoes and cook another 2-3 minutes, stirring often.
- Add in the vegetable broth and increase heat to a low boil, then reduce to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the spinach until wilted, then remove from heat. Stir in the cashew cream, mixing to just combine, and taste for seasoning. Depending on the saltiness of your broth, you may need more salt/pepper.
- Serve and wow your guests!
Leave A Comment